Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Hockey Song


I haven't been using this blog to rant but something about this Hockey Night In Canada song contest isn't sitting right with me. In case you don't know, the CBC is judging a contest they are holding for the new HNIC theme song.On one hand I think that these competitions are entertaining by the good and especially bad songs produced. In the same way that I can handle watching the first week of those Idol shows, I like to watch the train wrecks. On the other hand I feel that there are many musicians out there that do this for a living and this competition are taking a livelyhood away from them just so the CBC can save a dime. As a graphic designer, I had these same feelings toward the 2010 Vancouver Olympic committee for holding a similar logo contest. If the CBC is so concerned about saving money, why then did they use some of the most sought after commercial air time, during the 2008 Bejing Olympics, to promote the CBC National News, Sophie, Little Mosque on the Prairie, and other CBC shows? I guess its because they know that the Canadian taxpayer will pay top dollar for these commercial spots to promote shows that nobody really watches anyway. In my oppinion they should have just given Stompin' Tom Connors a bag full of money for permission to use "The Good Ol' Hockey Game".

1 comment:

James E. Daniels said...

I couldn't agree more!
Stompin' Tom Conner's song would be the smart choice. I'm surprised they haven't used it before...